Pitchfork/Chicago get big nod from NY

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Alright so I just checked out a review of Stars, a band I've heard a buzz about and wanted to see what someone thought of it. Here's a list of words and phrases that were used that confused, in lieu of informing, me:

curmudgeonly things-ain't-the-same listeners
nearly leakproof (I know what the words mean, just not in regard to making an album)
capable band who suffuses pedestrian topics
a procession of lugubrious strings
the grandiloquence is kept to a minimum
the track is never slogs enough
A lo-res synth arpeggio carries the song alongside a propulsive drumbeat
the album feels wontedly cathartic
your emotional nadir
some monochromism is to be expected

Fuck you dude, how can you fucking rock out when you're stroking your thesaurus the entire time the records playing?!?!
creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by creepy »

methinks a thesaurus wasn't the only thing being stroked...

(not that there's anything wrong with that...)
Proptronics
Whiny, Annoying Complainer

Post by Proptronics »

Man, I love your icon Creepy. Everytime I look at it, it makes me think "what would Bob Pollard say about this?" Bob would tell the kid to fucking straighten up, drink a beer and listen to Thin Lizzy.
blackshoestring
GLONO Board Kingpin

Post by blackshoestring »

Anybody see GBV on Conan last night? I think Bob was wearing sweatpants.
foxforcefive
GLONO Board Playa

Post by foxforcefive »

Saw it. The first thing my wife said is that his sweatshirt made him look fatter than usual. (We just saw them live a couple weeks ago.) Conan said it was their last ever TV appearance, but I think they're going to be on Austin City Limits in the next month or so.
booker
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Post by booker »

For the most part, Pitchfork's reviews are totally useless to me. I just appreciate a different musical aesthetic than their reviewers.
Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Post by Mixmaster Shecky »

Proptronics wrote:Man, I love your icon Creepy. Everytime I look at it, it makes me think "what would Bob Pollard say about this?"
We should always ask ourselves, 'What would Uncle Bob do?'
Coopstar
GLONO Board Playa

Post by Coopstar »

Speaking of Pitchfork, while I was doing some research on the new Trail Of Dead record - Worlds Apart, I came upon this interview with Conrad Keely. You all may remember that in 2002, Source Tags And Codes got a 10.0 from them - is this the only time this has happened? Anyway, this is kinda funny. I can't wait for this damn record btw....

http://www.mcgilldaily.com/view.php?aid=3101

MD: Still on the subject of the Internet, Pitchfork gave you a big fat “10” for Source Tags & Codes. Are you guys worried at all about this record living up to that? Pitchfork has a tendency to turn on a lot of bands; they gave a 6.7 to Secret of Elena’s Tomb and 3/5 for the “Worlds Apart” single. Are you guys worried about them turning on you?
CK: If I lived my life worried about what Pitchfork thought would you consider me a very intelligent person?

MD: No.
CK: Last thing I heard about Pitchfork from one of our friends that worked there was that all those guys have not been laid in three years...
dieblucasdie
GLONO Board Maniac

Post by dieblucasdie »

I think the Trail of Dead record and Modest Mouse's Moon and Antarctica are the only records they've given 10.0 right out of the gate, but they routinely give it to re-issues of already-canonized records, most recently to that Boards of Canada album.
steve-o
Zombie Jesus

Post by steve-o »

dieblucasdie wrote:I think the Trail of Dead record and Modest Mouse's Moon and Antarctica are the only records they've given 10.0 right out of the gate, but they routinely give it to re-issues of already-canonized records, most recently to that Boards of Canada album.
Ok Computer and Kid A both got a 10.0.