Ain't no Sunshine

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Ain't no Sunshine

Postby quasarwutwut » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:45 am

File under "Extremely Late to the Party", but I was just turned on to one Bill Withers, by way of The Old Grey Whistle Test. I play bass and one of my bandmates was trying to get me to play less like a white guy (side note: ain't gonna happen) and after my failing to grasp his explanations he finally showed me this performance on the YouTube:

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hlAgwd5JGPo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>

This is awesome! Look how high his band is, and listen to how amazing they are! I'm playing in a big comfy armchair from now on. iTunes has an iTunes Essentials on him, so I'm excited to delve into his catalog. Any suggestions where to start / things to avoid?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Bill Withers is amazing. All I know are his hits, and I know Isaac Hayes covered a bunch of his stuff. But if you're downloading, be sure to get "Use Me." It's awesome.

It's easy to get turned off because of what the Nylons did to "Lean On Me" and the cheese factor of "Just the Two of Us," but his simple, stripped down arrangements are unbeatable.

Here's a great NPR interview where he talks about why he stopped making music.

Also: seek out Michael Jackson's version of "Ain't No Sunshine." It's from the Jackson 5 era, but it's on one of his early solo albums. It is AMAZING. Seriously.

And you might not ever play bass like a black guy, but you certainly ought to buy that hat!

MF
GLONO Board Pimp

Postby MF » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:10 pm

I'm a big fan of Bill Withers and that NPR interview was fantastic (makes me want to learn Lean On Me on piano - according to Bill, you don't even need to change fingers.).

Thanks for posting the link.

Return to “Rants and Raves”