Compile the 23 Best Pavement songs NOT on Quarantine

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Compile the 23 Best Pavement songs NOT on Quarantine

Postby Jake » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:54 am

Okay, here's what's on the official "best of" Pavement comp (GLONO review):

"Gold Soundz" - 2:40 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
"Frontwards" – 3:01 from Watery, Domestic (1992)
"Mellow Jazz Docent" – 1:52 from Perfect Sound Forever (EP) (1991)
"Stereo" – 3:07 from Brighten the Corners (1997)
"In the Mouth a Desert" – 3:48 from Slanted and Enchanted (1992)
"Two States" – 1:48 from Slanted and Enchanted (1992)
"Cut Your Hair" – 3:05 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
"Shady Lane / J Vs. S" – 3:51 from Brighten the Corners (1997)
"Here" – 3:55 from Slanted and Enchanted (1992)
"Unfair" – 2:31 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
"Grounded" – 4:15 from Wowee Zowee (1995)
"Summer Babe (Winter Version)" – 3:15 from Slanted and Enchanted (1992)
"Range Life" – 4:56 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
"Date w/ IKEA" - 2:38 from Brighten the Corners (1997)
"Debris Slide" - 1:56 from Perfect Sound Forever (EP) (1991)
"Shoot the Singer (1 Sick Verse)" - 3:15 from Watery, Domestic (1992)
"Spit on a Stranger" - 3:01 from Terror Twilight (1999)
"Heaven is a Truck" - 2:29 from Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain (1994)
"Trigger Cut/Wounded-Kite At :17" - 3:15 from Slanted and Enchanted (1992)
"Embassy Row" - 3:50 from Brighten the Corners (1997)
"Box Elder" - 2:24 from Slay Tracks (1933–1969) (1989)
"Unseen Power of the Picket Fence" - 3:50 from No Alternative Compilation (1993)
"Fight this Generation" - 4:23 from Wowee Zowee (1995)

What did they leave off?

creepy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby creepy » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:17 pm

I was always partial to "Stop Breathin'".

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:29 pm

For starters, "Grounded" and "Fight This Generation" were really the best they could muster from Wowee Zowee? Definitely "Rattled by the Rush" has to be on there, and I admit a big fondness for "My Best Friend's Arm" and "AT&T".

Jacob, Jacob Javitz, i'd like to thank you for everything
primarily your glass house!

The problem with Brighten the Corners is that there are too many good songs on it (I mean, that's a nice problem to have, right?). So maybe I'd put "Blue Hawaiian" on instead of "Date with IKEA", but that's a hard one to insist on.

worpswede
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby worpswede » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:09 pm

I've already listed mine, but I must DEMAND that "Starlings On The Slipstream" be on there-without question-because it's so fucking awesome. But yeah, Brighten The Corners is chock full of greatness; I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way. I always assumed that it was pftd on because it wasn't as ragged as Wowee Zowee and everyone seems to love that one. Personally, I think Wowee Zowee is the worst title in their catalog and is completely overrated. It sounds rushed and too hard to be clever. ARGUE.
I think the only reason that "Date With Ikea" was on there is because they needed the obligatory Spiral Stairs song

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:36 pm

worpswede wrote:I've already listed mine, but I must DEMAND that "Starlings On The Slipstream" be on there-without question-because it's so fucking awesome. But yeah, Brighten The Corners is chock full of greatness; I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that way.

Just so you know, I almost added "Starlings" to my list. It is indeed so fucking awesome.

I always assumed that it was pftd on because it wasn't as ragged as Wowee Zowee and everyone seems to love that one. Personally, I think Wowee Zowee is the worst title in their catalog and is completely overrated. It sounds rushed and too hard to be clever. ARGUE.

I can't argue with you about how you feel...you'd know better than me.

Well hang on, yes I can - YOU'RE DEAD WRONG. How can you not love WZ? I'm listening to We Dance just to reassure myself of how wrong you are. That's all I have to say about it.

jonas
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby jonas » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:43 pm

Except now I'm listening to "Black Out" and I love it too. Okay, now I'm done.

LionIndex
GLONO Board Mack Daddy

Postby LionIndex » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:11 am

Pavement songs on my iPod not already on the list (I have only a 4GB iPod, so I had to be selective when putting stuff on there):
"Transport is Arranged" off Brighten the Corners
"No Life Singed Her", "Conduit for Sale", "Zurich is Stained", "Loretta's Scars", "Fame Throwa", and "Jackals, False Grails" from Slanted & Enchanted
"You Are a Light", "Cream of Gold", and "...and Carrot Rope" from Terror Twilight
I've also got "Baptist Blacktick" off the Slanted/Enchanted Luxe/Reduxe thingy.

It's odd that I completely agree with whoever selected the songs for Crooked Rain, but am almost completely opposite of them on Slanted (the only song we have in common is "Trigger Cut".

quasarwutwut
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby quasarwutwut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:30 pm

What an interesting band to do a "best of" for. Their catalog doesn't seem to be nearly as... I don't know, divisive? as a lot of other iconic bands. Maybe because they hardly had any "hits", but I think mostly because they didn't really put out any crap either. I definitely have favorites, but... I don't know. For me anyways I'm less fired up about what they should have put on vs. why did they put that on. I think their list is as good as any. I'd like to see "Silence Kit" and "...and Carrot Rope" as well, but that's about it.

"Range Life" just came on the ol' shuffle the other day. That is still one of my favorite songs of all time. Hot damn.

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:41 pm

I should probably cross-post this to Todd's review, but I think the thing about this comp is that while every Pavement album I've heard kinda leaves me a little cold, this collection made me see why people really go nuts for this band. I pretty much missed them the first time around. And I only actually own two albums, the deluxe edition of Slanted and Enchanted, and a bargain bin edition of the album with "Range Life" on it. (Plus the occasional MP3 here and there, like "Spit on a Stranger," which is awesome.) There are songs on those that I like a lot, but they don't hold my interest throughout. There seems to be an intentional, almost Replacements-esque attitude of "fuck it" slackery on the albums. But this collection is a pretty fucking solid assortment of songs.

LionIndex wrote:I completely agree with whoever selected the songs for Crooked Rain, but am almost completely opposite of them on Slanted

According to Spiral, "it was compiled by the band and includes all our faves from the catalog."

Barabajagal
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Barabajagal » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:51 pm

worpswede wrote: Personally, I think Wowee Zowee is the worst title in their catalog and is completely overrated. It sounds rushed and too hard to be clever. ARGUE.
Arguably best Pavement album.

More accomplished than their early stuff yet more true to their weirdness than Crooked Rain. Not quite as Malkmus-solo feeling as everything that came after (though Brighten is excellent). It's a transitional album and I always like those from bands.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE "We Dance" (way to fuckin open a record, very cool), "Grounded" and "Father to a Sister of a Thought" with it's "ginger ale rain."

Return to “Rants and Raves”