Cracker Goes Country

This is the place where you can vent whatever's on your mind. Feel free to go off on extended rants or brief blurbs about whatever's rocking your world.

Moderators: D. Phillips, Jake

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Cracker Goes Country

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:46 am

Cracker Go "Country" - New album features covers of Springsteen, Haggard, Yoakam.

I wonder if this will be cool.

By the way, since when did U.S. writers start using the annoying British style of using plural verbs with collective nouns? For example, in the U.S. we would say, Cracker goes country. Not Cracker go country. We would say, the band is goofy. Not the band are goofy. It's basic A.P. style:

collective nouns -- In the United States, nouns such as team, Congress, committee and group take singular verbs, such as "is." These collective nouns also take the pronoun "it" instead of "they." So, if you're confused about whether a word such as "team" is an "it" or a "they," try making up a sentence using the word followed by "is" or "are." You wouldn't say "The team are playing well." Try this, instead: "The team is playing well. It may win this game." That's correct.

I'm going to blame it on the goddamned NME.

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:21 am

But of course we must consider, there is the very (un)real possibility that the fine folks at ye olde ennemmee meant to command those wacky dudes in Cracker to "Go Country!!" The comma between Cracker and Go, while a highlight of proper professional journalistic usage, is implicit in this case; it's just a matter of scribbling outside the box...

Whilst marginally speaking of Yoakam, I really enjoyed his backing vox on Warren Zevon's "Dirty Life And Times". It added a certain Sammy BoDean quality to the song which was just perfect.
Last edited by DJMurphy on Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

unknown

cracker go country

Postby unknown » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:45 am

Anyone else think the story of the record label dropping them and getting it on a companion documentary about the making of the album sounds familiar?

Jake
GLONO Team Member

Postby Jake » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:03 pm

DJMurphy wrote:the fine folks at ye olde ennemmee meant to command those wacky dudes in Cracker to "Go Country!!"

Except the headline in question comes from Rolling Stone!

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Re: Cracker Goes Country

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:22 pm

Jake wrote:I wonder if this will be cool.

It could be very cool - Lowery and company certainly know their way around the annals of folk/country, and they can play some trash, too. Probably be more interesting than that enormous bore, Lyle Lovett.

Tom4
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby Tom4 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:26 pm

Jake, I got into an argument with my boss at Roadrunner over that very topic (the American/UK usage of things like "go" and "goes"). I treat a band like a singular noun, he argues that it should be plural. So I'm with you.

By the way, if all else fails, everything on this planet can be blamed on NME.

thousandfold
GLONO Board Kingpin

Postby thousandfold » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:28 pm

Mixmaster Shecky wrote:Probably be more interesting than that enormous bore, Lyle Lovett.

The stuff I've heard off Lyle's new album sounded really good. And Road to Ensenada was a great album, too. Not everything he's done has bowled me over, but I think "enormous bore" is a little harsh.

miss carol
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby miss carol » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:37 pm

By the way, since when did U.S. writers start using the annoying British style of using plural verbs with collective nouns? For example, in the U.S. we would say, Cracker goes country. Not Cracker go country. We would say, the band is goofy. Not the band are goofy.

I didn't know the Brits did that. Canadian grammar is based on British, with US spelling creeping in. Nevertheless, the collective nouns "band", "team", "family", et al should use singular verbs. Says so right here in my <i>Canadian Writer's Handbook </i> and the <i>Harbrace Guide</i>

If the sentence were Cracker Go Country, it would imply that the band Cracker was playing country music, which is redundant, as we all know.

back to filing...

DJMurphy
GLONO Board Maniac

Postby DJMurphy » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:43 pm

Katy wrote:Road to Ensenada was a great album, too. Not everything he's done has bowled me over, but I think "enormous bore" is a little harsh.

Lest we forget, Joshua Judges Ruth is also a wonderful album as well, which sounds as wonderful to me today as it did when I bought it when it came out. The only thing I can accuse Lyle of is perhaps coasting a bit occasionally, doing Lovett-by-the-numbers.

This Cracker goes country isn't too much of a shock; Camper Van Beethoven dipped their toes in the ol' country river every once in a while.
Last edited by DJMurphy on Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mixmaster Shecky
Honorary GLONO Board OG

Postby Mixmaster Shecky » Tue Oct 07, 2003 12:43 pm

Katy wrote:The stuff I've heard off Lyle's new album sounded really good. And Road to Ensenada was a great album, too. Not everything he's done has bowled me over, but I think "enormous bore" is a little harsh.

Well, maybe 'enormous' was a bit much. Lovett just doesn't do it for me - if I'm going to go country, I'd rather listen to Dwight Yoakum. He's fun!

Return to “Rants and Raves”